The Story of A Vegetarian who Hates Animals, but Loves Plants

   In 2015 I did the thing that my grandmother will resent me for doing for the rest of my life: I watched a documentary that convinced me to go vegan. Cowspiracy was the documentary and it focused on the water consumption problem in California during the drought, and a man named Kip Harringtons struggle with dealing with his own consumption. Kip found that a huge amount of his consumption of water was being allocated to the meat and dairy industry, which lead the documentary to focus on the perceived injustices of these industries and their products. After watching this one documentary in my room, I walked out to my mom and told her "I am going to be a vegetarian." "Okay," she said. I watched another "I am going to be a vegan." I announced. "It won't last," she exclaimed from the kitchen (undoubtedly cooking a dinner that mostly consisted of some unknown red meat. My mother ended up being correct. My time being a vegan, only lasted a year. once I decided that cheese was way too appealing to me I knew I couldn't do it anymore. Although my time being a vegan didn't last, I have not consumed meat since 2015. Six years seems like a long time to do anything really, but not eating meat is something that means a lot to me. Something about me and my story that people always find funny is that I'm not really an animal lover. I have had pets, but never really connected with them. My dog for instance is 16 and we have never really gotten along, even though he has been there for most of my life.  I do however love plants, I am a person who treats their plants like they are my actual pets. I have a favorite plant, which is named Dave. He is a peace lily that I got after my father's funeral, and I think if the plant were ever to die, I would have to have a week's vacation from life.This is all to say, my story is one that is very unique. Im not going to go stand outside of a Prada store, protesting their use of leather or fur, but I am a person who would be offended at a gardener wrecking a beautiful bed of flowers. My giving up meat doesn't come from  animals or animal rights (though that is a very important subject) I gave up meat for the environment, and the impacts meat and dairy have on the world. I am a vegetarian who hates animals but loves plants. 

    SEO terms: Vegetarian, Plant Based, Cowspiracy, no meat, Vegan 


Comments